Sunday, March 2, 2014

Wrestling musings for today

Ever since I was a little child, I have been a pro-wrestling fan.  I cannot imagine my life without it.  However, I find myself growing out of it.  I have my moments being intrigued by Hulk Hogan's return and the fanfare surrounding Daniel Bryan, but mostly I am bored.  I do have a thing for Roman Reigns.  It is innocent..nothing less, nothing more.  That is okay, I felt the same thing about the Rock and Lex Luger, my very first crush.  I was around 12 or 13 and my brother used to make fun of me about it.

 Lex Luger was a muscular body in a sea of men who looked more like one's uncle than a guy who stepped out of Gold's Gym.  You know what.  That is okay.  I never cared what the wrestlers looked like.  If Roman Reigns was pudgy, it wouldn't bother me, so long as he is productive in the ring.  I guess what I am saying is that having "the right look" always mattered, but looks seem to matter a bit too much.

There are a lot of people in real life that look like Bray Wyatt or CM Punk, but it seems like the average wrestler looks more like a card-carrying member of a Gold's Gym, like John Cena and Randy Orton.  I guess having "the look" has changed somewhat.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I wonder if a Dusty Rhodes would even have a job in today's WWE, much less be a main-eventer for instance.  I guess that is just an opinion of mine.  My opinions are all that I have.  I am just an armchair quarterback.  That's all.

No comments: