Friday, July 4, 2014

We are all Americans despite the colors of the flags below



Whatever the color of the skin or the flag, one thing is for sure, we are all Americans.  I have read articles about whether or not I as a black person should celebrate the Fourth of July.  The reasoning is because of the denied promises of America for black Americans, many feel that we should not celebrate it.  Rather, black people should just skip it.  I don't agree.  I think that regardless of ancestry, history, or skin tone, we are all Americans and that the promise of America should still stand.  Whether or not our last names are English, Nigerian, Arabic, Spanish, or Chinese, we are all here.  Many people have failed in their promises and injustices have been done but all of the American people cannot and should not be blamed for whatever someone else has done, including their ancestors.  I look to the many who fought and died for this country, whether it is in Europe, Iraq, or Afghanistan.  Even in American, many fought and died so that the nation would hopefully be united, which it finally is.  As tragic as the Civil War was, 4 million or so slaves were freed.  As tragic as the lives being lost in Iraq and Afghanistan, Sadaam Hussein is no longer in power.  To me I see July 4th as not a barbecue day or a day of oppression but truly a day of freedom, liberty, possibility, and the honor of many.  July 4th to me symbolizes what could be a better, brighter America.  As an American, I am proud to be a part of a beacon of light to the world.  As a black person, I am proud to be an American who comes from an American people who came a mighty long way.  From slavery and segregation to the middle class and integration, not only have we came a long way, but so as America.


No comments: