Sunday, October 6, 2013

Mickey Rourke

Yesterday I wrote a nice, long letter to God about my obsession with Mickey Rourke.  I don't think that I have ever been this honest before, at least with myself and God.  Maybe there is more I can think of.  Mickey Rourke has been the subject of a few of my postings here and I just wanted to share how I really feel about him.  I think that no matter what he looks like, there is a sexiness and charm about him that is almost unmatched by any other actor in Hollywood.  There is a sadness and realness about him that comes across that is unmatched by most other celebrities.  Celebrity seems to be nothing but an image of people that seems to prey on the bank accounts, and sometimes the naivete of some.

I'm sure Mickey is the same way since he is famous, but there is an authenticity to him that seems apparent despite his celebrity.  I know that I have a cynical view of celebrity it seems but I cannot say that all celebrities are bad people but the tabloids and tv shows are all an image, not reality.  Mickey's movies are not reality.  Nothing outside of the person Mickey Rourke is real.  He too has a crafted image.  But I admit that I was shallow and I wonder if he looked more like George Clooney would I be worried about my image or even mentioning his name.  Then I look at a past obsession with George Clooney and I am glad that it is not the case.  If it was, then it would be because I only cared what others think.  That would be really silly in itself.

Mickey is a beautiful man, but a different kind of beauty.  He is incredibly skilled at what he does and there is a certain sadness about him.  He was abused as a child and there is something that is honest and sad, even pure about him.  I guess because he is so blunt.  Though I cannot say his changing looks have anything to do with boxing in later years, I can say for certain that there is some complexities to this man that I cannot understand.  That is why he is so interesting.  He is not conventionally handsome, but he is handsome at the same time.  He is an interesting guy to say the least.

I have watched some of his movies, even the Pope of Greenwich last night.  I do think that he is a beautiful guy, especially in some of his earlier roles.  His voice even changed.  His voice was softer and a higher pitch than now.  Maybe it has a lot to do with aging, and the fact that he smokes like a chimney.  I am not sure of his religious beliefs and how he views God, but like every other celebrity he needs prayer.  In fact, all of us need prayer.  He is fascinating to watch, keeping in mind that he is human, just like the rest of us.

No comments: