Thursday, May 1, 2014

I will learn and never forget.



I posted all of these pics up because I want to know how I as a black person should identify myself.  Yes, I am a woman of God, but the outside of me says something else.  How should I identify myself in the context of the Black African diaspora?  I am a patriotic, Christian, proud American, but I do wonder how African am I?  Am I that far removed that I shouldn't at least claim a small piece of Africa for myself?  I ask myself these questions because of the varying views of black Americans online and I find their points of views interesting.  As a believer, I believe that Jesus died for those of black African origin, whether or not they are American, Nigerian, Colombian, or Jamaican.  As an American, I am one of many.  As a black person, I am unique.  I came from a people who even though they were removed from their ancestral homes and largely not allowed to practice much of their ancestral heritage, became Americanized and accomplished much in a country where there were many obstacles to overcome.  I am proud of who I am first and foremost as a child of God, a human being, and a black African descendant, and an American.  I don't know much about articulating myself as far as my identity, but despite what has happened to black Americans during enslavement and beyond, I don't believe that we are a lost people without a true identity.  We are not African in the geographical sense, but I wonder how much of Africa is truly left inside of me.  I would like to know for myself about Egypt, Mali, Nigeria, and Malawi from travel, reading, and corresponding with others.  All of us are Africans judging from the "Out of Africa" theory. What is wrong with learning from each other instead of judging one another?  What is right about judging those "on the outside" so to speak?  What is wrong with learning about Sundiata and North Africans like Hannibal in our text books?  The Ancient Egyptians were Africans, so why does it matter what race they were?  I do believe that the history of blacks have not fully been taught by people who lack an agenda.  Some have a racist agenda.  Some have a liberal agenda.  Some have a well-meaning agenda.  But I wonder what is wrong with having a balanced agenda?  Why wait until college to learn about Sundiata and Mansa Musa like I did?  Why didn't I learn about them when I was a kid?  Why wait until I had a computer to learn about Fredi Washington and Louise Beavers and other black actresses from long ago?  Why couldn't I have learned about why there was a connection between Mali and Macedonia?  Had I known then what I know now.

No comments: