Tuesday, November 5, 2013

My thoughts about weight

I have had a lot to think and pray about today.  I have gained weight lately and I feel not so great about myself right now.  I realize however, that I care too much about what the world thinks of me.  I don't spend all day eating junk food.  I see myself as someone who is trying and not someone who is lazy.  I am relatively active and I am not selfish, dumb, or lack integrity.  My hygiene is not poor nor am I "low class" or other elitist stereotypes people have about fat people.  It is even sadder that some doctors and my own people adhere to those stereotypes.  A fat person can eat healthy foods and still have difficulty losing weight while a thin person can be a glutton.  That is the truth.  No need to explain that.  There is a prejudice against fat people, and not because they care about a fat person, but because they are more concerned about fat people and seemingly so, more so than the fat person themselves.  This is wrong and ungodly in my opinion. 

Ironically, I want to lose weight, but for myself.  I don't fit any stereotypes of fat people at all, but the world have their views, but God has His, and for that, I am thankful.  The world isn't a friend to any of us so why conform to it?  I wish to continue to conform to God's standard of beauty and about health.  The epidemic against obesity should be about fitness, health, and overall well-being, no matter if one is overweight or not, obese or skinny.  I can't help but wonder if some people in the Church are like the world in that they too have a prejudice against being fat.  That is a shame if true.  It is up to the overweight person who wishes to lose weight to do so for themselves and for their health.  It should never be up to the government or anyone else.

No comments: