Thursday, January 14, 2016

My homemade bread recipe

This afternoon I baked some homemade bread yet I haven't tried it yet.  I hope that it turned out a little bit better than what I had baked Tuesday.  It was good, but it wasn't done and it was cut way too soon after I took it out of the oven  If only are the terms I would use to describe what happened with my last loaf.  At least it made good toast.  Baking bread has become a science, not just an art form.  I hope to master it soon enough.

Here is my recipe for my homemade bread recipe:

6-8 cups self rising flour
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/4 cup oil
3 tbsp. yeast
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup warm water

In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients (flour, yeast, and sugar).  Set aside for a moment, Measure 1/3 cup of cold water to about 1 cup of boiling water; add to the dry ingredients.  Also melt butter for in a plastic bowl in the microwave oven for 30; add the butter and also the oil to the rest of the mixture and stir.  Dust enough flour to a counter or to an extra large bowl so that the dough will be kneaded.  Knead the dough for 5-10 minutes.  After kneading let it set in an extra large bowl (if the dough was already kneaded in that same bowl) or transfer the dough to a large bowl (if the dough was kneaded elsewhere).  Let it rest for 30 minutes at most. (The dough itself will double in size.) After the dough has been at rest, punch or cut the dough with a knife and cut the dough into two loaves.  Knead both dough loaves for 2 minutes.  Then shape the dough and place them into two loaf pans.  Let the dough in each loaf rise again.  This time let it rise for about an hour.  This time, the dough will also double in size.  Make sure the oven has already been preheated to 375 degrees.  Place both loaves in said preheated 375 degree oven and bake for 30-40 minutes.  After that time, take both loaves out of the oven and let them cool for at least an hour.  Then finally, serve.

No comments: