Friday, January 1, 2016

Food for thought...putting things into perspective

I live in a nation where there are so many people who are overweight and obese for a variety of reasons.  I guess we have a different relationship with food than those in other countries.  I wonder if the rest of the world thinks that we have nothing to complain about since the US is a wealthy nation. Most people eat when we are hungry.  We can satisfy our hunger and our cravings.  We also eat to live.  I realize that those are the things that I have lately thought about because of my own relationship with food.  I love food.  It is just that food doesn't love me back anymore. I eat for a number of reasons including boredom, procrastination, holidays, and because of what stands for in my eyes.  But what if I lived in a far off corner of the world where people are starving and dying of starvation?  What would my relationship with food be?  I guess what I am trying to say is that I need to be mindful of those who aren't in a rich nation where the food supply is plentiful and where many go without food.  I wonder what they will think of a person who looks like me who feels guilty because I have gained so much weight over the years.  I have taken food for granted.

Maybe that is, in a way why, I have gained weight.  I don't feel guilty about being born in and living here as I rather be nowhere else, but I wonder what it would be like to not have enough to feed my family.  What were to happen if I live for a day or two without a full belly and clean water?  That puts things in even greater perspective about my relationship with food.  I am ever thankful and ever grateful for what I do have, I am sheltered and sometimes I feel safe being sheltered.  I do ask for a way out of my "world" and do something else however. I complain about that a lot.  I am now finally realizing what it really means to be thankful and to be grateful.  I guess that would be the advice those who are in need would say to me.  Their advice for me is to be grateful for what I have and to not waste my life on things that are not as important.  Focus on what I do have and be content for there are many who have none.  As I write this, someone will get sick, malnourished, and probably leave this planet because of a lack of food and clean water.
 
Prayer:
Lord, help us and forgive us who take food for granted to be ever mindful of those who have without. Let us trade places with those who are in need.  Let us not forget that where ever we are we have much to be thankful and grateful for.  Forgive us for our lack of compassion and understanding for we could too be in need one day.  Change us and not just change our relationships with food, but with ourselves and with others.  Give us clarity and understanding on what it means to have without. Make us wise to the fact that we as humans should not only have a healthy relationship to food but also to be healthy and made whole.  You created us for Your glory to follow You, for You have given us guidelines in all areas of life, including how and what we eat.  Let us be reminded that we have not just food to eat but that many of us have family, community, and love to give.  In Jesus' name,  Amen.

No comments: