Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Before and after


Ever since I was a kid, I wanted a shorter torso.  Somehow, I have always hated the way that I looked.  I was put on diet after diet after diet since I was before a teenager.  I would lose weight only to gain it back.  I realize that right now, I look like this guy in the left (same guy I know).  I would also like to be the guy on the right.  My question is are fat people lazy?  Are thin people more attractive and harder working?  It is one thing to be out of shape, but it is another thing to stereotype a person because of their overall looks.  That is what has happened to me.  I am not a fat acceptance person because of the health risks.  I am risking this as I sound like a hypocrite, but my point is, I don't think that a fat person is necessarily an out-of-shape, unattractive, lazy glutton who have no respect for themselves.  Stereotypes don't have to be realistic because one can be out of shape, seen as unattractive, lazy, and gluttonous, regardless of size.  We should all be in the best shape we can be and love and respect regardless of our overall sizes.  If all of us were in shape, then there will still be diversity.  I believe that the war on obesity should be not just about looks, but about health, fitness, and overall well-being, whatever that would mean to individuals.  I would personally rather live a healthy lifestyle with a healthy mindset and a healthy body than a person who has dieted so much that they ended up frustrated.  Weight loss can very well be frustrating and even difficult, but it can be done, even with someone like myself.  My point is, I hate that I am and will be viewed by some as a before picture, but it has been that way since I was a kid.  I guess I have missed the point.  

No comments: