Saturday, July 20, 2013

Giving up? No.

Giving up is the worst thing a dieter can do.  

Dieter?  Wait a minute.  Maybe that is the problem.  The word diet.  It is a limiting term because most people go on diets for a limited period of time like fitting into that wedding dress for example.

A lifestyle change?  What does that mean?  A change in what a person is doing and their attitude about health, fitness, and of course, themselves.  Diet has a lot to do with it, but I am beginning to dislike the word diet.

Diet implies limits.  I don't want to limit or deprive myself.  That is what has been wrong with me this whole time.  My food intake has been stressing me out for a while now and I just cannot take it anymore.  Those weighty matters seem so minor when I finally take into account the social, emotional, physical, and spiritual effects of being unhealthy.  It is not easy being highly overweight as I am.  It can be a hard life.

But I realize that there are others who have greater crosses to bear.  I do not weigh over 300 lbs., I am not suffering from complications of diabetes, nor am I so physically unable to do things that I am in pain all of the time.  While I don't have the easiest life, I am blessed with a lot of things.  I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I sadly don't always take the time to be thankful for what I do have and some things that I don't have.  I have the power, the knowledge, and the motivation to do it.  The problem is I just don't have the confidence or know-how to carry it forward.  That is just so sad.

I could use a dose of wisdom and truth in my life and I am glad that I finally have a light bulb moment.  However, I am saddened that it took me this long to figure this out.

No comments: