Friday, May 3, 2013

Discipline

Discipline is like being proactive.  It is true.  You have to take action, yet discipline requires more than taking action.  It takes strength and continuity.  Discipline is something that I have a hard time with.  I guess most people have great difficulty being disciplined.  I could not count the numerous times when I wished that my goals were accomplished because I felt that I was not disciplined enough.  I had to ask myself why couldn't I have done this before.  I had to conclude that a question like that would be futile because better late than never.  The past can never be changed so at least there are the present and the future.  No one tells us that we have to learn to make the same mistakes over and over again.  The great thing about life is that we can learn from them.

I was thinking about discipline because of my weight.  I feel like I am at a plateau.  It takes discipline, lots of it to diet, exercise, and take my medication for other conditions.  It takes a toll on me sometimes but I have to remind myself that discipline is important and that diet, exercise, and medication are necessary.  To be a disciplined person, one's mindset has to change and that is what I had to do.  My mindset had to change yet it is easier said than done.  I had to not mull over it but to put it into action and think about the pros and cons of diet, exercise, and medication.

The biggest pro would be a healthier me.  The biggest con would be an unhappy, unhealthy me who is still wondering why things aren't going her way.  Well, cons since they obviously outweigh the pros in this case.  But discipline is a lesson well-learned.

No comments: