Monday, January 9, 2017

Excerpt from "Grandma Esther"

I will be writing a few more short stories soon.  I will love to hear about you reading those short stories soon.  Over a decade ago, I have written a series of short stories about how Christianity in general has played a role in the lives of those who were saved, delivered, and needed guidance in their lives.

Here is an excerpt of one of the short stories that I have written a decade ago.  It is called, "Grandma Esther". :

In those moments, I think of my Grandma Raines with her melodies, her  laughter, and her stories.  I remember when my brothers and I were children she would tell us stories of Jesus and how He healed the sick, raised the dead, and fed five loaves of bread and some fish to thousands with a lot left over.  There were times when I wish Jesus would do a 
miracle right then and there.  But whenever we would ask a question, Grandma Esther would say, "God is an all-time God.  Wait on Him. Don'tgive up.  Keep on believing and He will come through."

I am one of three children, triplets to be exact.  My brothers, Alden and Allen, were born just after I was.  I would make fun of how I was the big sister and that I should be just.  But it all in fun, just brother and sister stuff.  We were as close as siblings can be.  As I am telling my story, I think about Grandma Raines directing us to the living room every Christmas.  

Alden, Allen, and I would gather around Grandma Raines sitting on the rug of our hardwood floor as Grandma Raines would open up her Bible to Matthew Chapters 1 and 2.  She would tell us of the Birth of My Lord and  Savior Jesus Christ.  She would tell us of Jesus being born in a manger surrounded by animals because there was no room in the inn.  She would also tell us of the Magi following the star to see the baby Jesus wrapped in swaddling clothes; they offered him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.  I remember once Allen asked her what does it have to do with Christmas. 

No comments: