Tuesday, December 8, 2015

The magi


I have wondered what the Magi really looked like.  It seems silly but that has been a thought I had. I also wonder how many wise men actually went to Israel to see Baby Jesus.  Interestingly enough, the Bible doesn't say how many wise men there were.  However, there are only three presented because of the number of gifts given to the Baby.  What is also interesting are the "races" of the three "Magi" from the East.  The older two magis are Caucasian (one European, one Semitic) while the youngest one was a black African.  The names were not even mentioned in the Bible as far as I can tell.  I guess the Bible felt that those details were not as important as the fact that they were a part of a prophecy about the coming of the Newborn King.  When they saw and followed the star indeed.

No comments: