Sunday, November 23, 2014

Modern Music, Aaliyah (RIP), and being 40

Lately I have been listening to various artists from the 90s.  While I was a child of the 80s, I will not neglect listening to music of the 90s.  To me, the movies were better in the 80s and the music was just as good in the 90s.  I think that as a 40 year old woman who has embraced her age, I can wax nostalgic about what to listen to.  I know of some of today's artist like Ariana Grande, Iggy, Nicki Minaj, and Drake.  However, I prefer to listen to stuff that may be actually be older than they are.

Last weekend I was watching the controversial Aaliyah (RIP) movie.  It wasn't a disgraceful film or an insult to her like so many others thought, but it is a rather boring movie that I would not recommend.  If I were a critic, I would not rate it very high.  The acting was good, but that is it.  I am not sure if the makers of this TV movie should be ashamed, but the film could have been better.  I doesn't help that her family did not approve of the film.  It doesn't help that many of the actors look nothing like the people they portray.  However, for people younger than 12, I do recommend her music and her movies.  My favorite song from her is "If Your Girl Only Knew". What is so tragic is that she died so young and had so much to offer.  I am almost twice her age and I wonder now what could have been.

I am blessed to be at the age I am.  I am young, but all grown up, if that makes sense.  I do wonder however if life truly begins at my age.  Ironically we live in a society where life supposedly begins at 40 while some don't have a clue that life begins at conception.  Sometimes I wonder about the ironies of life.  I know that I am changing the subject, but the world seems to have changed and still change, for better or worse.  I guess that would include the musical landscape where things and the musical tastes of most of us seems to have changed.  I guess that I am not immune.

No comments: