Sunday, November 11, 2012

Happy Veterans Day and my thoughts on black Americans, the Republican Party, and the Tea Party

 
First and foremost I would like to wish all Americans Happy Veterans Day.  You will have to forgive me as the music probably doesn't match the tribute.  I for one am thankful to all of the veterans who fought valiantly for our nation in every land in the world.  Thank you to all.
 
 
 

 
I as a black American am well aware of the things that have happened in this nation, but mine is about Republicans and black people.  Politcal pundits keep talking about the Latino votes getting Obama in office and that the Republicans need to reach out to them. Why not also reach out to blacks? Not all blacks are Obama supporters nor all we much different from Latinos. Culturally we are conservative and family oriented, just like Latinos are. Have the Republicans given up on black people or have black people in general given up on Republicans? It is like a chicken and egg thing, but it has me wondering. I feel that the Dems have taken us as black people for granted yet it seems the Republicans have all but ignored black people into the equation. I feel like we as blacks have been dismissed just because the majority are Obama supporters. That is not fair. We too make up more than 10% of the US population, not including Africans, Middle Eastern blacks, Caribbeans, and Latinos. My point is black people are not a monolithic population including within the Black American population who make up about 13-14% of the US population and the attitude of both Dems and Republican pundits seem rather dismissive.

Governor Mitt Romney I guess tried to reach out to black voters, but I think that he could have appealed more to us in terms of our Conservative views, clearing up some of the 43% remarks sooner, gay marriage, churches, taxes, crime, and other things. We are really not that stupid and unreachable. I am not saying that they should do the Democratic way of reaching demographics, I am saying that the Republicans have got to do a better job of reaching out to us as black people. They may actually be surprised; however another issue is the groupism in the black community. We have been treated horribly in this country and Republicans in general have a bad rap in the black community. That needs to be fixed, I mean the extreme groupism. My question is, what is the best way for the Republcans to "sell" their ideas to all of America, not just one group or another. It seems that the Republican party is guilty of one thing and that is give up on a populace that was once loyal to them.

Conservatism has gotten a horrible rap especially in the black community and it worked. The Tea Party, Conservatism, even the more moderate Fox News are treated with contempt by many black people (some of whom I know...don't read the youtube and facebook posts). It would be nice if we as black people do our own thing, go our own way, and unite. We may not even have to be party loyal, but we don't have to shut the Republicans out completely because the Dems are just as imperfect if not more so for black people. I am just disappointed that black people have not been a focus like Latinos have been. Why is it by the way that welfare, entitlements, and freebies have bcome code words for black people? Why is it that illegal immigration has been a code word for Latinos? All blacks are not on welfare or other entitlements and not all Latinos are illegals and not all illegals are Latinos. I don't like how much of the MSM covers black or Latinos including much of the black and Latino MSM. It is slanted, racist, and elitist, but that is just for another topic.
 
I certainly didn't mean to contradict myself, but I just wish that most black people will have their eyes opened like the people in this video. The Democrats have shown for generations that they care nothing about black people in particular. Their policies sound good on paper but the implementation is and has been a disaster. I think that all Americans should choose the Republican Party because the implementation of much of their views would better help all communities. Maybe they shouldn't target black people specifically but compared to the Democrats, the Republicans have had a raw deal in the last few generations plus when it comes to their selling of their ideas, particularly to us as black Americans, the Republicans are far behind. That was my point. I feel that much can be done but blaming slavery and the white man doesn't help us one bit. Black people have enough power and wealth ourselves, but a lot of black people like the people in the video in Chicago are corrupt and obviously don't seem to care about our own people. I shudder to think that our President was voted in because he is "black", not because of qualifications or character, which was or is a mistake a lot of Americans have made over the last few years.

I, for one, am glad that I didn't vote on color but on issues. I had my doubts that he is the right man for the job and as far as I am concerned, black people need leadership especially from our own leaders in our communities and our government to not allow us to be held back. It is sad that black people who have been treated horribly are still being lied to by the Democratic Party. I admit that this country would be a much better place if the majority of US citizens regardless of race or color were more conservative and hold fast to their Conservative political and cultural views. I do understand what Dan meant and though I don't agree fully, we have allowed ourselves to be blinded, exploited by the higher ups of the Democratic Party and also much of what is considered our "culture" is an embarassment.

Black people have been taught that we were an African people whose ancestors were stripped of their ancestral cultural traits, though there is a grain of truth to that. We as black Americans are an assimilated people with a distinct cultural and historical heritage but that does not make us less American. After all, we have been here for centuries. We are a unique American people yet sadly there are some with a victim mentality and I believe that there are people who are feeding off of that. It is so sad. Culturally black people are family oriented, are for conservative principles and views, but like I mentioned, we have strayed away from that and just like the rest of society we have become a less godly, family oriented people which is I believe the crux of our black American culture and beliefs.

No comments: