Wednesday, October 24, 2012

So I was filling out my resume....

I find myself disappointed.  However, there were things that I have been grateful for.  What do I need to do with what I have.  I have been given the advice to be proud or thankful with what you have.  When it comes to my resume, it could get better.  This resume below is an example of why I need to go our more.


EDUCATION
Francis Marion University, Florence, SC
Bachelor of Science, Mathematics                                                                                                    1997 
Completed graduate courses M.Ed. Secondary Education-Mathematics                                 2003-2004
Courses completed: Set Theory, Mathematical Models and Applications, Probability and Statistics 

 
COMPUTER SKILLS
Computer Hardware: Windows Vista/XP/98/7
Computer Software: MS Word, MS PowerPoint,  MS Excel,  Adobe Reader


 
CLERICAL SKILLS

Type 47 wpm
Proficient with the use of adding and graphic calculators
Proficient with general office equipment: fax machines and software, terminals, all-in-one and laser printers, personal computers
Taking down messages and answering phones
Performed inventory of office materials

 
BUSINESS AND FINANCIAL SKILLS
Management of Money Market accounts
Promoted and sold various products in person and online
Software: Quicken Basic and Microsoft Money


WORK EXPERIENCE
Tutor, Elementary school, Grades 5-6                                                                                            2007 -2008
Marion County School District No. 2                                                                                               2000-2001
P.O. Box 689
Mullins, SC 29574
Worked as a Substitute Teacher.
                 ·         Taught students in grades 1-12.  
                 ·         Assisted Special Education Instructor in helping students.
Francis Marion University                                                                                                            
5130 East Palmetto Street
Florence, SC 29506 
Test Proctor in the Math Department, 4th Floor.                                                                        2000
                  ·         Supervised test takers
                  ·         Assisted tutors and instructors in day-to-day activities
 
Physics Tutor at the Tutoring Center, Francis Marion University                                                                                                                                            1997
                   ·         Tutored physics and mathematics
Student Assistant at the Cauthen Educational Media Center 1996                                                                   
                  ·         Checked out cassette tapes
                  ·         Delivered, picked up, erased, cleaned, and checked out audio visual equipment
                  ·         Assigned entire classes and individual students to work areas to watch videos for Chemistry and other classes
VOLUNTEER AND MISCELLANEOUS EXPERIENCE
Research, Learning, and Interests: Foreign Languages (Spanish, French, and Portuguese), Politics and Social Issues, Psychiatry, Religion, Charities                                                                               2005-present
Miscellaneous Computer skills: Software download, computer and electronic equipment installation, Computer troubleshooting                                                                                                                               1999-present
Volunteer work: Charities, Elderly, Animals, Tutoring, Maintenance                                    1999-present

ACTIVITIES
Member, Math Club, Francis Marion University                                                                            2002-2003
Member, University Programming Board, Francis Marion University                                        1999
 
I have led a busy life, but now I am 38 years old and wish to do more things.  I would like to own a business, but what skills do I have?  My skills need to be updated and the job market is not very strong, especially where I am from.  I am grateful that I have skills, but I learned that in order to accomplish your goals, one has to do what is most difficult.  I had a lot of researching to do as well as planning.  I have always wanted to own my own business and I have ventured out into that.  They were both online businesses that I could have done a better job of promoting.  That was the problem.  My lack of job skills is the real reason and so was my lack of planning.
My social life is limited as I have not joined a club in years, but I would also like to be a volunteer.  Maybe the Salvation Army or the Red Cross in my area would be a great place to start.  I don't wish to volunteer to expand my social life or to feel better about myself.  I do this because I wish to help others and glorify God.  Being a caring, compassionate, genuine person is a qualification that all should have not only if they wish to be a volunteer, but character is what is most important.  A person's money will take you far, but I believe one's character will take you farther in life and farther in eternity.  In eternity, you can't take your money with you.
 

 
 


 

 

 

 

 

No comments: