Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Irony of living in modern US society

I was thinking about this today as I was fixing myself some tea. Why I have these random thoughts I don't know. I do think a lot about the goings on in our society and I wonder about the irony of life as we know it. Maybe I need a lesson in how to define irony, but isn't it ironic that we live in a politically correct society where the idea is to respect people yet this society seems to have become more disrespectful? I wonder sometimes if chivalry is dead. I wonder because I realize it is not. What is wrong with a man holding a door for a woman? What is even more wrong for a woman to be grateful instead of critical when a guy does such a chivalrous act? Those are things I think of every once in a while. I guess I need an irony lesson or I have too much time on my hands.

I do believe that political correctness was well-intended but nowadays it has gotten out of hand. For example, I am a black American, but political correctness will have me say that I am African American. Why not an American who is (not happens to be) black? All of my black ancestors weren't born or even raised in Africa any more than the average white person born in the US can say that they are German-American or English-American. Their ancestors are recently American, not German or Irish. The historical truth is especially in the South, blacks and whites have much more in common than they do with their Old World ancestors. But now political correctness has gotten into multiculturalism and division. People of different races, ethnicities, nationalities, and cultures, as well as political ideologies seem to have less respect for one antoher than even a few years ago. Something is wrong especially in a country where a few years ago where we had a terrorist attack, two wars, and other tragedies that have crossed all lines. Yet we are divided on the issues and some have been subjected to name calling and other rude behavior, even in social media. Am I reading too much into this? Is there an irony here?

No comments: